Strong Legal Advocacy for Homeowners and Debtors
If you had any doubt, the banks and mortgage companies are not your friends. As a homeowner, you are in an adversarial relationship in which the other side has most of the power. Lenders often prey on people who have few options and lenders have little incentive to help homeowners who are struggling to make the monthly house payment.
If you are facing foreclosure or believe you have been cheated or mistreated, the law firm of Stamatakis +Thalji + Bonanno provides aggressive, focused experience in consumer protection law. Namely, we hold lenders, debt settlement companies, collection agencies and other entities accountable for delaying tactics, misrepresentation, discrimination, predatory lending and abusive debt collection.
We are based in Tampa, serving homeowners and consumers in Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco counties, and our experienced lawyers have handled cases across Florida.
Tampa Consumer Protection Attorneys
We have had substantial success in foreclosure defense by invoking affirmative defenses laid out in federal legislation that governs lending institutions. We can capably advocate for citizens and property owners under all of the following:
- Florida’s Fair Lending Act was enacted to combat predatory lenders, real estate agents and home contractors who take advantage of the elderly and people at the lower end of the socioeconomic scale in mortgages, refinancing and other transactions.
- The Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) are routinely violated by mortgage lenders and banks. Instead of simplicity and transparency in loan transactions, there is more smoke and mirrors than ever.
- The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act penalizes credit card companies, other creditors and third-party bill collectors for harassing and abusive treatment of debtors, including attempts to collect on debts after a person has filed for bankruptcy protection.
- Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act provides consumers with legal remedies for breach of contract, breach of warranty, misrepresentation, scams, predatory coercion in purchases and other commercial wrong doings.
- We also have significant experience with sinkhole claims, representing homeowners who are turned down for insurance coverage to fix property damage from naturally occurring sinkholes. Florida law specifically requires homeowners’ insurance to cover these claims, but often legal representation is required to budge the insurer.
Holding Florida Lenders, Creditors and Businesses Accountable
We will fight to keep your house, and we will pursue compensation and penalties under state and federal consumer laws when lending institutions, creditors or commercial enterprises have willfully and shamelessly violated those protections.
To discuss your specific circumstances and all the ways Stamatakis + Thalji + Bonanno can help, call us at 866-479-6946 or contact us online.